cTRAIN is a computer-based training program (format) that can effectively teach the widest possible audience from people with no education (0 years) to college graduates, without trainer intervention in 99% of cases.
- The cTRAIN format produces superior learning (“large” effect sizes of d = 0.9 – 3.15, greater than typical training results that produce, on average, d= 0.6) as demonstrated in our peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Content specialists can create training using text, pictures, recordings, and movies; or NwETA can create the training for you
- cTRAIN presents required information as well as optional non-required information (for the curious) that does not slow progress of those not so curious
- Programming is NOT required to use cTRAIN or create new training
- Try out our cTRAIN Demo to see how it works online (recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer 9 only)
cTRAIN: Detailed Description
cTRAIN is structured as a series of building blocks, termed “information sets” or “info sets” (see flow diagram, right). Info sets consist of one or more screens of information followed by one or more “quiz” questions about the information.
- Information set screens can accommodate a limited amount of text and several still digital photos, sound recordings (for spoken text), and a movie
- Quiz questions are in multiple choice format with 2-4 possible answers (including yes or no). Correct answers to each quiz question in an info set are required to progress to the following info set. An error returns the trainee to the first screen in the info set which the trainee must step through again and give a correct answer on the same quiz item before proceeding.
- Each information set screen has: (a) title, (b) a sub-head to describe the content, (c) text, and (d) a representation of the 9 response buttons plus icons depicting the function of each button, on the bottom of every screen (example below)
- As depicted in the example screen, each button has specific functions: (a) Buttons 1-4 are for answers to quiz questions; (b) 5 > “more” or supplementary material; (c) 6 > “show” a movie or enlarge a picture; (d) 7 > “tell” or speak the text; (e) 8 > step back one screen; and (f) 9 > step forward to the next screen
- The boxes in the lower right of the screen inform the trainee: (a) number of screens completed and to go, and (b) a visual representation of progress
- Completion of the content is followed by a Post-test. A pre-test option can present questions prior to beginning training and to provide a test-out option
- Data Reports are generated in a standard spreadsheet, including: (1) Summary report that lists totals and percent correct totals, (2) Detailed report that includes all trainee responses to track every event during the training, and (3) Tag report that lists performance by test question category (eg, percent correct on questions on labels, questions on storage, questions on transport of hazardous substances). The reports, which are generated by a single click, aggregate data on all trainees in the folders you select
- Unique cTRAIN Features
> Restart at same location after power failure (crash recovery)
> Add Employee Number/Participant ID input option
> Batch output data files to Excel
> Set pass/fail and optional testout percentages in Builder
> 1-click to reveal errors and correct responses after final test (optional)
cTRAIN runs on Windows XP and Macintosh 10.4.x and above operating systems and cTRAIN web (internet delivery) has been tested on Firefox, Safari (Mac only), Chrome and Internet Explorer (versions 8 and 9 only – NOT 7 if movies are included).