BARS 4.0pc requires a computer running a Windows XP and a usb 9BUTTON unit. It will run in demo mode on Vista and Win 7.
Install BARS 4.0pc release (current version 1.21)
Download, unzip and drag the bars release folder out of the zip shell, eg, to your desktop):
1. Double click and install 9BUTTON setup.exe
2. Connect the 9BUTTON unit to usb port on computer
3. Double click BARS_pc.exe to begin
4. Open a battery (from the File pull-down menu)
5. Select project and double click it
6. Select (highlight) each test and click “Set Parameters” to change them or confirm they are what you want (if you change a parameter, select “Update” before closing the window).
7. Under Battery, enter a name/ID (examiner ID and Computer ID are preferable add-ins)
8. Click Begin
Notes for specific languages:
- Arabic: Install Arabic language from Windows or Office for text to appear right to left
BARS 4.0pc Tests < click for descriptions
- Match-to-Sample (MTS)
- Symbol Digit Test (SDT)
- Continuous Performance Test (CPT)
- Tapping (TAP)
- Digit Span Test (DST)
- Simple Reaction Time (SRT)
- Serial Digit Learning (SDL)
- Reversal Learning (RLT)
- Progressive Ratio Test (PR)
Languages currently operational
Languages in development
- Portuguese (Brazilian) in development
- more languages can be added easily (and at modest cost)
Options in BARS
From the “File” pulldown menu:
Select “Test Sled” to test the 9BUTTON (verify the lights appear/disappear and the computer reads the buttons).
Select “New Battery” to build a new battery or group of tests
- Leave “Save in” Batteries and give your new battery a “File Name.” Click OK.
- Click “Add New” and select each test you want to include in your battery
- Rename the test, or keep the same name
- Once you have chosen all the tests, you can:
- renumber the order of the tests
- rename any test
- delete a test
- demonstrate a test (typically using the keyboard for efficiency)
- set the parameters of any test
If you saved your battery in the “Battery” folder (default), it will appear in “open a battery” when you select that in step 4, above
From the Main Window:
- “Add New” button is to add a test to your battery.
- “Set Parameters” is to change the parameters at any time.
- “Demonstrate” is to try out a test using the keyboard.
- “Delete” is to delete a test in the selected battery.
- “Rename” is to rename a test.
- “Renumber” is to change the order of the tests in the selected battery.